Out of all of the emotional issues that chronic illness creates, guilt is number 1.
In a recent poll on my Emotional Autoimmunity Facebook page, over 63% of people voted that they felt guilty and many posted about the extreme and debilitating guilt that they feel on a daily basis.
One of the very first things I do in my online therapy is help my clients get rid of the guilt because it quite literally gets in the way of their emotional and physical healing.
In this episode I walk you through what guilt is, why we have it and the difference between healthy guilt and toxic guilt and break down the following toxic guilt beliefs:
- I feel guilty because I feel like I am letting everyone down.
- I feel guilty because of the pain I am causing my partner.
- I feel guilty because I feel like a burden.
- I feel guilty because I can’t contribute financially.
- I feel guilty because I passed on my illness to my children.
- I feel guilty because I can’t be there for my friends.
- I feel guilty because all my children will remember is me being sick all the time.
Chronic illness can be a great opportunity to really evaluate the relationships in your life, which ones are serving you and which are bringing you down.
It can help you identify the people who were only ever interested in what you could do for them, rather than genuinely caring for you and wanting to offer you mutual support.
Sharing your grief with your partner can be an opportunity to let it bring you closer together and become more connected, rather than let the guilt isolate you and cause the very pain that you feel guilty about.
If you feel stuck in toxic guilt, then you need to listen to this podcast and if you can’t break out of it alone, book your FREE Discovery Session with me now.
Trust me, you will feel so much better without your guilt and when it’s gone, everyone you love will breathe a sigh of relief.